Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Used Tea Bags and Empty Promises

As already stated we are by faith missionaries; we do not solicit funds from anyone. We do inform individuals of our work but there is never a push for them to give on our part.

But here is where I vent... over the past few years of passing through the States for mission meetings or furloughs we have had quite a number of people who have told us that they were going to support our work only for us to never see them follow through. It would be one thing if these empty words came from the world; however, my experience has led me to discover that those of the world tend to follow through when they say that they intend to give.

Almost a year ago a man who had taken us to lunch said the he was going to start giving us $1,000 a month. There was a part of my heart which jumped for joy, but I always try to hold out on the real rejoicing till I actually see someone follow through. His words, sad to say, were empty. Not surprising, just in one Sunday school class alone, which we visit from time to time, four men have separately said that their individual families were going to start supporting us on a regular basis. This man was from that same class. However, he was not a deacon in the church as the other four were.

It seems that without fail, each time I find myself in the States visiting this class these same men will one by one walk up to me with the same speech about how they can’t do the work which I am doing but they can support it. I have never seen more than a $50 to $100 one-time gift come from any of them. My heart sinks, for this is nothing for a class who’s average salary runs well over $100,000 a year.

God does meet our needs though! We have had many occasions were we had to make $20 last us two or three weeks. And, as we look close as to where the $20 or so came from to take us through such hard days, to me it almost always seems that the Lord stirred some special heart to give the bare minimal to deliver us through such days.

If you are a missionary then you either have or most likely know of another who has received used tea bags in the mail. “We did not want to throw away what you might can use on the field.” I was with a friend when they received a letter containing one rubber band, one paper clip, and a note saying that, “the Lord was leading me to give you something.” The stamp cost more than... you get the picture. My friend laughed and said the person must have forgotten to put in the gift they wrote of. Of course the rubber band and paper clip were used, but I do throw away the used tea bags!

2 comments:

Henrietta the Hooker said...

oh my gosh. that just made me sick to my stomach.

A. Lurkar said...

Seems to me that from an eternal perspective, a salary of $100,000 per year is pretty much the same as $200 a year. The parable of the widows mite teaches that a bunch of bananas can be a bigger gift than $1000. It isn't people who are supplying your needs, but God.

On the other hand, if a person promises support and then goes back on the promise, it isn't you the person is cheating but God, a serious thing indeed. When someone hurts you that way, you need to bless them by asking God to forgive them, open their eyes, and remind them.

If you look to people you'll be disappointed; keep your eyes on God and you'll never be disappointed. Stretched and uncomfortable maybe, but never disappointed.